Athens is the perfect place to learn taste and explore the Greek food with a guide. It is a pretty big city with almost half of the Greek population living here. As you can imagine you can find everything you wish to eat. There are amazing restaurants everywhere that serves all types of different cuisines. This Guide though will emphasize in the Greek food and the eating habits of locals in order to help you avoid the tourist traps.
Breakfast and snacks Greek Food
Greeks are not big with breakfast. Even though they have great choices their breakfast is usually a cup of coffee. This is how they start the day before going to work. Their “breakfast” is a snack like koulouri or a pie. Now pies are one of Greeks favorite foods. We have different versions of pies. There is a street food pie and the pie you can eat at home or at a taverna. The street food pie is for breakfast and there are amazing varieties for every taste!
Breakfast pies in Greece
You can find them everywhere and the bakeries! The most known that you will find everywhere are:
- Tyropita (cheese pie)
- Spanakopita (pie with spinach)
- Spanakotyropita (spinach and cheese)
- Zabonotyropita (ham, cheese and tomato sauce)
- Loukanikopita (phyllo with sausage)
- Kotopita (chicken pie)
- Bougatsa with cream (this is a sweet pie with cinnamon and powder sugar)
- Bougatsa with cheese (like tyropita but with a special phyllo)
Their prices depending on the bakery or cafe that you will buy them is from 2-4 euro.
So koulouri and pies are the most eaten breakfast in Greece. At the same time the same food are great snacks and you can find them practically all day long everywhere in the city.
Lunch and Dinner food in Athens and Greece
This is where things get serious and the full choices of the Greek Mediterenean kitchen goes full throttle! Greeks loves food and they have a lot of different ways to cook.
A classic choice with pork and beef steaks, lamb chops, kontovouvli, and souvlaki are some of the best choices. You can eat them with a salad and tzatziki and you will be a true local. Light food, well cooked and extremely tasty!
Greek home cooking
When we talk about cooking food in Greece we are mostly talking about magirefta (the food that is cooked in a pot or in an oven pat. This can be fish, seafood, meat, pasta, rice, legumes and of course vegetables. Garlic, Spices, Onions, Tomatoes, honey and most certainly olive oil are the ingredients that makes the difference.
Ladera Athena Greek Food
This is the food that every family in Greece eat mostly during the week. Their base is different vegetables and Greeks loves eating them with feta cheese. You cannot have ladera without feta cheese. It is a crime! This food is hard to find in a restaurant. You have a food chance to find them at an old school Taverna. The recipes are endless but the most known ones are:
- Briam (zucchini, eggplant, tomato, garlic, potatoes and olive oil)
- Imam (eggplant, tomato, olive oil, garlic, onions and parsley)
- Gemista (tomatoes, zucchini and peppers stuffed with rice)
- Fasolakia (green beans with potatoes, olive oil and tomato)
- Gigantes (roasted giant broad beans with tomato)
- Lahanodolmades (cabbage leaves stuffed with minced meat and rice)
- Fasolada (beans soup with tomato, onions and olive oil)
- Fakes (Lentils soup with tomato, garlic, olice oil and laurel)
You should try and taste all these foods. As you can see we have not mentioned mousaka and Pastitsio. These dishes are extremly known and very tasty around the world but this is the problem with them. It is hard to find at a restaurant a good mousaka or pastitsio. Reading the Athens Greek food guide will help you make a list of dishes in order to taste them once you are in Greece!
Magirefta or moms Greek food
Magirefta or moms food are similar with ladera but they include meat or fish. Olive oil and tomatoes are again everywhere! In Greece the food has either lemon or tomatoes and in both cases they have olive oil!
- Giouvarelakia (meat balls soup with rice and lemon)
- Soutzoukakia (meat balls with tomato sause, cumin and served with rice or pasta or puree)
- Kokkinisto (meat, chicken or beaf with tomato sause and pasta)
- Lemonato (meat chicken, pork or beaf with lemon and garlic served with rice)
- Spetsofai (susages with peppers, tomato and olive oil)
- Papoutsakia (similar with mousaka, it is eggplant with beshamel and minced meat)
- Katsikaki ladorigani (lamp kid with olive oil and garlic with potatoes
The dessert part is my favorite! We will need 50 pages to describe the Greeks sweets as they differ a lot depending on which part of Greece you are. Baklavas, Galaktiboureko, loukoumades, Ravani, apple pie are the most common ones and you can find them everywhere. Also there is the delicious Greek yugurt with honey of spoon sweets! Try it both ways and you will remeber the taste for ever!
Athens Greek Food Guide is a very good way to make a list of the best Greek foods. If you try them you will have a pretty good idea of the real Greek food and the way locals eat! You can also read about our street food guide,how and what to eat at a taverna and of course join our amazing Athens food tours!